Creating tabletop RPGs, podcasts, and now a zine! Located in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. Catch us making microgames, talking about queer & LGBT+ tabletop gaming, or curating small games collections.
Queer Tabletop Resources
A List of sources & articles discussed on Game Closet as well as a resource for learning more about queer/LGBT+ tabletop roleplaying games. Submissions welcome! If you know of something that should be here, please email RiverhouseGamesMN@gmail.com & I’ll add it to the list!
A note: I have not played many of these games, read many of these resources, or joined many of these communities. Their inclusion here does not represent any endorsement, and the short blurb about them may not be wholly representative of their actual content or gameplay. As with many things in tabletop games, your mileage may vary. Play responsibly. If, for any reason, I have misrepresented a game, author, or community here, I apologize. Sending me a quick email should help me know I have something to fix.
Learn More About Queer Tabletop
STOIC: Sad Things On Index Cards
A community-driven microgame zine with proceeds going to charity. Inspired by game design events like Game Chef, the 200 Word RPG Challenge, Golden Cobra, and other game jams & contests (specifically Dan Enders’ Two Weeks anthology), this zine seeks to collect poetry, visual art, analog microgames, and essays on larp and tabletop roleplaying with the intent of supporting charitable nonprofit organizations.
More About STOIC
Check out these great shows, all on iTunes!
In the year 2186, Commander Sela Shepard activated the Crucible over planet Earth, destroying the Reaper threat to galactic life. Five years of reconstruction later, and a new threat looms on the horizon. Documents detailing the origin of the reapers and citing the technological gains discovered by Cerberus fanatics have gone missing just as a rise in political pressure from a joint alliance of Batarian, Vorcha, and Yahg threatens to disrupt Council programs to reconnect the Mass Relays which greatly facilitate galactic travel. To those with sufficient clearance to access them, these documents are known simply as… The Leviathan Files.The Leviathan Files
Coming Spring 2017! From The Jackals To The Shepherds is a weekly one player Actual Play of Avery Alder’s The Quiet Year. Exploring the small settlement of Pastoral, this show lives out a year in the life of a town recovering from war. The Jackals have been repelled and now comes reconstruction. But as Spring turns to Summer, to Fall, and eventually to Winter, this settlement will have to come to terms with itself and the perilous future that awaits.From The Jackals To The Shepherds
Game Closet is an interview podcast seeking to talk to and highlight the contributions and projects of LGBT+ tabletop gamers. The goal of Game Closet is to showcase queer and LGBT+ topics within the tabletop community, explore these themes as they appear in tabletop RPGs, and to celebrate the wide array of amazingly talented LGBT+ creators and fans. Not only is this show a conversation about LGBT+ issues, it’s also a great way to find new games, shows, art, and other resources from queer creators. Game Closet is open for everybody. If you identify as queer or LGBT+ and you’re making something for roleplaying games there’s a spot open for you on this show.Game Closet
Riverhouse Games has a publisher page on DriveThruRPG for our finished games. Currently we have 5 titles finished and available for sale:
- Breaking the 4th Wall in the 5th Dimension – You can play this game with one or more people, but there is only one character: You. You are a fading star. Lost and adrift in space, your ship has begun circling a black hole. These are your final moments, great huh?
- Cliche – A game that celebrates all of genre fiction’s clichés. Brainstorm a list of eye-rolling tropes & come up with short pitches based on these tropes to give to your board of directors. Who will come up with the best story?
- Crumple This Paper – We are playing a game that has been played for millions of years. We are playing this game because we are waiting in line to check in at Gaming Convention: A Convention For Gaming.
- Five Alarm Apromcalypse – It’s here. The end of the world. And it’s interrupting prom.
- Five Single Playsets – These are playsets to be enjoyed with the game A Single Moment, written by Tobie Abad.
Many of our Riverhouse Games are in development, or waiting for art & layout. An incomplete list of these games is:
- Creatures of Blood and Flesh – For millennia a great presence threatened the galaxy. You drove them back, but the damage they wrought on the already small number of inhabitable worlds was great. You stand now on a momentous tower of possibility. A Science-Fantasy RPG coming soon from the Cypher System Creator program on DriveThruRPG.
- Have You Ever Retired A Human By Mistake? – An interrogation larp about androids.
- Heart of a Marauder – Remixing Harry Potter with Monsterhearts, this Powered By The Apocalypse game lets you & your friends create your own Marauders-Era fanfiction following a horrible prank gone terribly wrong.
- Goalposts & Gridirons – Your team is battling it out in The Big Game. Try to advance on the gridiron by exploring the moments that led you there.
- Silver Screen – Silver Screen is a roleplaying game meant to teach kids about storytelling. It is meant as a camp activity for large groups split into small teams of 4-6, investigating the disappearance of a teen heartthrob during the 1930’s golden age of studio cinema.
Riverhouse Games has been featured in some RPG anthologies. Find our games in:
- The 2016 volume of the 200 Word RPG anthology with two entries
- Out of the Crucible, a Fire – a 200 word RPG that can be played as a standalone game, or as an exercise after a longer RPG session. A group of Adventurers decompress around a campfire. Play to relax or debrief.
- Entrenched – an old woman’s request for closure sends you to the bottom of the ocean, to a reef grown on the husks of wrecked warmachines.
- The Two Weeks anthology benefiting the ACLU
- And I Saw Him On The Train – a game about the toxic yet mundane people in our lives.
- The Queer Gaymes Anthology
- The Kiss Of Walt Whitman Still On My Lips – A group of queer lovers discover an ancient Greek artifact. What can you learn about yourselves and The Artifact, and how much are you prepared to sacrifice?